Korma is one of my favourite curries. Normally it is quite rich, but this vegan korma curry is lighter and lower in fat than usual, using just enough coconut cream, cashews and plant based yogurt to create the creamy korma sauce.
This week Ian from Chef Vegan and I created a video showing 3 delicious and easy ways to cook rice to add some delicious flavours. We made Cumin Rice, Lemon Rice and Nasi Kuning (recipe inspired by Daily Cooking Quest).
Simple ingredients and quick and easy – let’s make boiled rice tasty!!
Simplicity wins the day. This simple lentil dal recipe punches above it’s weight for flavour considering the effort involved. This is my can’t be bothered go to. High in protein and easy to assemble I’m sure you’ll like it!
It’s perfect to make in bulk, freezes well and through different toppings, the addition of spinach and/or coconut milk can be switched up if you’re eating this on consecutive days!
Prep time: 2 minutes
Cooking time: approximately 40 minutes
250g (9oz) lentils
900ml (2 pints) water
½ tsp turmeric
1 tsp coriander
1 ½ tsp cumin
¼ tsp chilli
2 cloves garlic
100ml (3.5 fl oz) crushed tomatoes
1.5 tsp cumin seeds (for roasting)
Salt to taste
100ml (3.5 fl oz) tin of coconut milk
- Chop onion and garlic finely
- Rinse the lentils under a tap
- In a pot water fry onion and garlic until translucent (on a medium to high heat)
- Add spices – coriander, cumin, turmeric and chilli powders and fry for 2 minutes (add a dash of water if required)
- Add water, lentils, salt and crushed tomatoes and bring to the boil
- Scoop off any foam that has formed on the top and reduce to a medium heat
- Cook for approximately 30 minutes until the dal has thickened
- In a separate pan dry roast the cumin seeds on medium heat, stirring constantly, until aromatic (be careful not to burn them)
- Add the roasted seeds to the dal
- If making the coconut variation:
- Split the dal across 2 pots and add coconut milk to one
- Cook both pots until the thickness you like – about 10-15 minutes should give you a thick creamy dal
- To serve sprinkle with Garam Masala and fresh coriander leaf if you fancy
- Great served with rice or chapattis
Watch me make it: