Today we have a guest post from Ian @chefvegan – he has a load of great recipes on his YouTube channel – make sure you check him out!
Ian told me his inspiration for this recipe came from fond childhood memories of eating chilli cheese fries at fairs and ballparks. He says “I have been wanting to recreate a vegan recipe of it for a few years now, and when Rachel asked me to contribute I thought it would be really cool to create a chilli cheese fries recipe that ticked the easy, healthy and oil-free boxes in line with her blog’s philosophy”.
Continue reading “Chilli Cheese Fries (oil & nut free)”
Chilli’s are so versatile and great for cooking in bulk and freezing so you have a quick easy meal in minutes. This chilli benefits from the addition of smoked paprika to give it a lovely smoky earthiness.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: approximately 60 minutes
3 x 400g tins (14 oz) kidney beans (drained)
1 green pepper (optional, but recommended)
2 peeled cloves garlic
2 tsp cumin
½ tsp chilli flakes
¼ tsp cayenne
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp dried oregano
1 ¾ 400ml (14oz) tins of crushed tomato
800ml (30 fl oz) water
- Finely chop celery, green pepper and onion, crush garlic cloves
- On a medium – high heat in a large pot water fry celery, green pepper, onion and garlic until onions are translucent
- Once onions are translucent add kidney beans, crushed tomatoes, water and cumin, smoked paprika, chilli flakes and cayenne pepper
- Stir, bring to the mixture to the boil and then turn to a medium heat to a vigorous simmer
- Once the mixture is thick, reduced and about 5-10 minutes from being fully reduced (at the 40-50 minute cooking mark) add the dried oregano and cook for a further 5 – 10 minutes until the desired consistency.
- Great served with rice, tortillas or baked potato wedges covered in a big dollop of guacamole.
Watch me make it: