The other day we watched Rebecca Pawsey make a mango cake on her YouTube channel. It just looked so easy and so delicious. The recipe had come from the wonderful blog Blend With Spices and we just had to make and share it. The wonderfully simple base recipe got me thinking about how I could switch things up to make it more tropical and replace the oil! So this mango and passion fruit switch up of Blend With Spices recipe was born!
Instead of oil we use creamed coconut, this comes in blocks from the supermarket and is usually added to curries, but can also be used to make coconut milk. The creamed coconut reduced the fat content by nearly 30% with each slice coming in at 6g of fat!
The passion fruit icing really made this cake into something really luxurious and party worthy. I cannot emphasise how delicious this cake is. If you’re planning to attend a party, BBQ, potluck or picnic this easy cake will definitely make you some new friends!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Ingredients & Method – Mango Cake
See Blend With Spices for full list
Instead of oil we subbed melted creamed coconut to lower fat and introduce richness & tropical flavours!
Ingredients – Passion Fruit Frosting
1 cup of icing / powdered sugar
15g melted creamed coconut
Pulp of 2 passion fruits
1 tbsp hot water
Method – Passion Fruit Frosting
- In a small bowl remove the pulp from the passion fruits and mix to release juice and break up any stringiness
- In a large bowl add the icing sugar, passion fruit pulp and hot water and mix until well combined. This will take a bit of work, but resist the temptation to add more water, it will melt I promise.
- Once well combined add the melted creamed coconut and mix thoroughly
- Pour over cooled cake, use a spatula to distribute. The icing will find it’s own level quite quickly. You just need to ensure the icing is distributed evenly at the beginning.
- Allow the icing to set and then serve.