I’ve been vegan a couple of years now and one of my favourite meals before I went vegan was meatballs with spaghetti. I loved how the herbs in the meatballs melded with the sauce and pasta. Three parts imperfect by themselves but together sheer bliss! So I set out to recreate what I loved in a vegan meatball.
My first attempts weren’t bitey enough, I over processed the ingredients. They also needed a bit more texture and things to enhance the Italian flavours. Walnuts, pine nuts and olives helped a lot.
The result is a herby treat – they taste just like the meatballs I used to enjoy, the texture is different, because it’s made from beans, but the nuts provide a bit of bite and the rice makes them firm. I’m sure you’re going to love them!
This recipe has a lot of flexibility, amp up the herbs to suit your taste, process to your preferred texture, really make them your own!
Join me on my YouTube channel for new whole foods vegan recipes and ideas every week.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
(Makes 18 – 20 meatballs)
1 drained 400 g (14 oz) can Aduki Beans
100 g cooked shortgrain brown rice
20 g (0.7 oz) oats
20 g (0.7 oz) crushed walnuts
15 g tomato paste / puree
10 g pine nuts
1 red onion finely chopped
2 cloves finely minced garlic
3 tbsp chickpea flour + 3 tbsp water
10 pitted black olives
Handful chopped fresh parsley
1 tbsp brown miso
1/4 tsp fresh rosemary
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp dried basil
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp onion powder
- Preheat oven 170°c fan / 190°c conventional / 375°f
- Water fry onion and garlic until caramelised
- Add all ingredients to a food processor and pulse to the required consistency
- Roll into balls and place on a tray lined with parchment
- Bake in a preheated oven for 35 – 30 minutes
- Serve with Italian tomato sauce and spaghetti – recipe for super simple tomato sauce – https://youtu.be/gOW3nRg1NjI