I’m really getting into Ethiopian food and this Spicy Red Lentil Stew ticks all the boxes for me. Quick and easy to make, complex spicing and super healthy. This has become a regular fixture in our house and I hope it does in yours too!
Do join me on my YouTube channel for new whole foods vegan recipes and ideas every week.
Don’t forget to download your copy of my FREE recipe EBOOK – Easy Whole Vegan!
Prep time: 2 minutes
Cooking time: 45-60 minutes
200g red lentils
1 onion finely chopped
6 cloves of garlic finely chopped
1 inch ginger grated
2 ripe chopped tomates (or half a 400g /14 oz tin)
3 tsp sweet paprika
1 – 2 tsp Berbere spice mix
- Dry fry onions until well caramelised
- Add garlic and ginger and fry for a further 2 minutes
- Add red lentils, water, chopped tomatoes and half Berbere spice mix
- Bring to the boil and simmer on a medium heat for 45 minutes until lentils are tender and you have a thick stew.
- Add remaining Berbere and sweet paprika and cook for a further 5 – 10 minutes until the stew is nice and reduced and a lovely rusty red colour
- Best eaten with injera, but equally delicious with rice, savoury pancakes or other flat breads