Sweet and sour is one of those tastes that can be associated with unhealthy takeaway and not whole foods. This sweet and sour is different. Using only a few ingredients and simple to make you can have sweet and sour anytime you like.
Using the sweetness in pineapple juice with only a little sugar the sauce could be made just to pour over vegetables and rice as well as baked on tofu!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
400g (14 oz) block of firm tofu
250ml (8.7 fl oz) pineapple juice
2 ½ tbsp sugar
2 tbsp white spirit vinegar
1 tbsp water
1 tbsp soya sauce or tamari
2 tsp tomato puree/paste
1 ¼ tbsp. corn starch
½ tsp garlic powder
Additional white spirit vinegar – 2 tbsp post marinade
- Slice tofu in half lengthways so that you end up with two large thin tofu steaks. Slice across on the diagonal to end up with 4 triangles.
- Press tofu for about half an hour to remove excess water
- For the marinade – mix together pineapple juice, sugar, 2 tbsp vinegar, soya sauce, tomato puree, garlic powder
- Pour marinade over tofu triangles and place in the fridge to marinate. 12 hours is ideal, but a minimum of 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven 180°c fan / 200°c / 350°f
- Once the tofu has marinated remove the tofu triangles from the liquid. Add 2tbsp of white spirit vinegar to the marinade liquid.
- Mix corn starch with water until combined.
- Pour the marinade liquid into a saucepan on a medium heat. Add the corn starch mixture and whisk until combined. Continue whisking on a medium heat until you have a watery custard consistency for the sauce.
- To marinade for baking, dunk each tofu triangle into the sauce and place onto a parchment lined tray.
- Spoon more sauce onto the top of each triangle.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and bake in the oven for 30 – 40 minutes until browned on top.
- These tofu triangles will be tender. If you like a drier tofu lower the heat and bake for longer.
- Serve with stir fry and rice.