These gluten free, low fat alternatives to traditional stuffing maintain the juiciness and taste of normal bread based stuffings, thanks to the addition of apple sauce and chestnuts. Delicious on their own or with a nut or seitan roast these are a great additions to any Christmas or celebratory table.
Don’t forget to join me on my YouTube channel for new whole foods vegan recipes and ideas every week.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
(Makes 16 – 20 stuffing balls)
2 x 400g (14 oz) tins of chickpeas (drained)
180g (6.3 oz) apple sauce
160g (5.6 oz) cooked chestnuts
100g (1.7 oz) rolled oats
2 red onions (finely chopped)
4 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
4 tsp dried sage
1 tsp dried thyme
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
4 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tsp Liquid Smoke
Salt & pepper (to taste)
- Preheat oven 180°c fan / 200°c / 350°f
- In a frying pan water fry onions and garlic until caramelised
- Put all ingredients into a food processor and process until consistency you like, as long as it can be rolled into ball it can be as chunky or smooth as you like
- Roll into balls (golf ball size) and flatten slightly on a parchment lined cooking tray.
- Bake in oven until golden for 20-30 minutes