These gluten free, low fat alternatives to traditional stuffing maintain the juiciness and taste of normal bread based stuffings, thanks to the addition of apple sauce and chestnuts. Delicious on their own or with a nut or seitan roast these are a great additions to any Christmas or celebratory table.
This creamy chowder is super low fat, relying on beans to provide the creaminess. This will warm your soul during the winter months! Serve on a bed of spinach and with a chunk of bread and you’ve got a complete meal.
Prep time: 5-10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
600g (1.5 lbs) potatoes peeled and cubed
800 ml (27 fl oz) stock
250g (9 oz) Corn, white, cooked from frozen, whole kernel
230g (8 oz) cannellini beans
200ml (6.7 fl oz) soya milk
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 red pepper, chopped into small chunks
1 stick of celery, chopped into small chunks
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp sweet paprika
½ tsp thyme
Nutritional yeast to taste (2-3 tbsp)
Salt and black pepper to taste
Sprinkle chilli flakes and sweet paprika to serve
- In a large pot, water fry onions, garlic, celery and red pepper until onions are translucent
- Add stock, cannellini beans, corn, potatoes, soya milk, paprika and thyme
- Bring to the boil and turn down to a medium heat and cook for 20-30 minutes until potatoes are tender
- Add nutritional yeast, salt and pepper
- For a smooth soup blend the whole pot full, to serve sprinkle with paprika and chilli flakes
- For a chunky soup, reserve one third of the soup and blend the rest. Combine the blended with the unblended soup, serve on a bed of spinach and top with chopped scallions.