A smokey twist on an old favourite. This recipe is a low fat, higher protein vegan version of traditional mac n cheese. The smokiness adds a wonderful richness to this recipe. I guarantee once you’ve made this once you’ll want it make it again and again.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: approximately 40 minutes
230g (8oz) cannellini beans (drained)
200g (7oz) macaroni pasta
1 medium potato (peeled and cubed)
2 trimmed leeks
350ml (12.8 fl oz) plant mylk
30g (1 oz) cashews (soaked & drained)
3 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp liquid smoke
1/4 tsp turmeric
Juice 1 lemon
Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven 180°c fan (400°f or 200°c conventional)
- Roughly chop leeks, peel potatoes and cut into cubes
- Cook the pasta as per instructions
- In a pot boil or steam potatoes until soft
- In a frying pan sauté leeks until soft
- Blend potato, cannellini beans, nutritional yeast, smoked paprika, liquid smoke, turmeric, paprika, lemon and salt and pepper into a smooth pourable “cheese” sauce.
- Put the cooked macaroni and leeks into In a 2L (2 quart) baking dish and mix together.
- Pour the “cheese” sauce over the top and mix through.
- Top with vegan cheese, breadcrumbs or nothing (it is just as good without any topping).
- Bake in the oven for 40 – 50 minutes.