Chilli’s are so versatile and great for cooking in bulk and freezing so you have a quick easy meal in minutes. This chilli benefits from the addition of smoked paprika to give it a lovely smoky earthiness.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: approximately 60 minutes
3 x 400g tins (14 oz) kidney beans (drained)
1 green pepper (optional, but recommended)
2 peeled cloves garlic
2 tsp cumin
½ tsp chilli flakes
¼ tsp cayenne
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp dried oregano
1 ¾ 400ml (14oz) tins of crushed tomato
800ml (30 fl oz) water
- Finely chop celery, green pepper and onion, crush garlic cloves
- On a medium – high heat in a large pot water fry celery, green pepper, onion and garlic until onions are translucent
- Once onions are translucent add kidney beans, crushed tomatoes, water and cumin, smoked paprika, chilli flakes and cayenne pepper
- Stir, bring to the mixture to the boil and then turn to a medium heat to a vigorous simmer
- Once the mixture is thick, reduced and about 5-10 minutes from being fully reduced (at the 40-50 minute cooking mark) add the dried oregano and cook for a further 5 – 10 minutes until the desired consistency.
- Great served with rice, tortillas or baked potato wedges covered in a big dollop of guacamole.