This quick and easy dessert is popular in my house! Using simple and healthy ingredients it’s the perfect thing to make if you need to whip up a quick dessert for guests or a party. Can be made gluten free by using gluten free bread. Absolutely delicious served with a plant-based ice cream or cream. Using sugar syrup gives the rolls a lovely crisp caramelised outside and makes the bread easier to roll up.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: approximately 30 minutes
(Makes 12 rolls)
100g dates (3.5 oz)
40g crushed pecans (1.5 oz)
200g pumpkin puree (7 oz)
2 grated apples (sweet ones preferably) skins on
1tsp mixed spice
30g sugar (1 oz)
12 slices of bread (with crusts removed)
Sugar syrup (optional but highly recommended)
300g (10.5 oz) sugar dissolved in 200ml (7 fl oz) boiling water
Filling the bread slices and folding into the middle
- Preheat oven (180°c fan, 400°f, 200°c conventional)
- In a small glass jar cover dates in boiling water (just cover, you don’t want to make the date paste too runny). Leave to stand for 10 minutes.
- Whip dates and water into a thick paste with a fork.
- Add date paste, crushed pecans, pumpkin puree, grated apples, mixed spice, cinnamon and sugar into a bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Mix sugar syrup by dissolving the sugar in boiling water in a shallow bowl.
- Dip each slice of bread in the sugar syrup, not so they are drowned in it, but moistened and coated on both sides.
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the pumpkin mixture into the centre of the slice and fold over either side so they resemble a roll with a join in the middle. Place on a lined baking tray join side down.
- Repeat until you have run out of bread and filling.
- Cook in a preheated oven for 15-20 minutes until browned on top side.
- After 20 minutes turn rolls over join side up and return to the oven for a further 10 – 15 minutes until browned.
- Delicious served with vegan ice cream, soya cream or on their own as finger food.